Pages

Monday, October 15, 2012

Frakenweenie (2012)


I may be 72% adult, but 100% of me still loves animated children’s films.  Also, 94% of me loves Tim Burton, so there was a 97% chance of me going to see Frankenweenie in theatres.  Obviously with those odds I went and saw this movie, but not just in some every-man theatre, I watched Frankenweenie in IMAX 3D (overrated).  I remember seeing a preview for this over six months ago, and was immediately excited.  Tim Burton, stop motion, dogs, and classic horror movie throwbacks:  what more could a girl want?  I know Tim Burton can be a touchy subject for some film enthusiasts, particularly the pretentious self-indulgent ones.  However, the creator of films like Beetle Juice (1988), Sweeney Todd:  The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007), and Edward Scissor Hands (1990) is okay in my allegorical “book” and I will most likely be viewing anything he puts his name on.  Even if, like those pretentious self-indulgers, I am insanely jealous of his success as an auteur. 
                Frankenweenie follows the well-known construct of James Whale’s silent classic Frankenstein (1931), with elements of other early monster movies thrown in.  However, unlike Whale’s film, Frankenstein’s monster is young Victor’s dog Sparky, who meets his untimely end chasing a ball into the street.  Victor is traumatized after losing his best friend and uses his uncanny knowledge of science to bring Sparky back from the dead.  What follows is a fun a charming set of misadventures as Victor tries to keep Sparky under wraps.  Eventually Victor’s secret is uncovered, and he must join in with his classmates to save the town of New Holland from a slew of mutinous regenerated pets.  Think Pet Semetary meets Godzilla meets Creature from the Black Lagoon. 
                Overall, I felt as though Frankenweenie started out rather slowly.  I suppose this is fair, since introducing the characters and scenario is important, especially since this film is geared towards children who are most likely unfamiliar with the story.  About half-way through I felt the film picked up speed and became more original and entertaining.  I’m no softy, but for some reason animal films have a tendency to tear me up.  In Water for Elephants when the elephant gets beat?  I bawled.  Apparently animated animal films are no different.  Perhaps it’s because I’ve suffered the loss of a cherished pet, but watching Sparky die (again) was a tear-jerker.  I’ll admit it.  You kill an animal, I’m gonna cry.   Even one made out of clay. 
Bela Lugosi as Count Dracula.  Dracula (1931)
                My favorite aspect of this film was Burton’s homage to classic monster movies.  Victor Frankenstein = Henry Frankenstein; Edgar E. Gore = Igor; Mr. Rzykruski = Count Dracula (Bela Lugosi edition); Nassor = Frankenstein’s Monster (Boris Karloff edition); and Persephone = The Bride of Frakenstein (1935), just to name a few.  Godzilla the turtle version makes an appearance, as does the trademark windmill and The Mummy.  This makes the movie a fun seek-and-find for those familiar with these classic films. 
Mr. Rzykruski.  Frankenweenie (2012)
                Overall, I approve of Frankenweenie.  Although it’s not my favorite Burton film, it’s still fun, funny, cute, touching, and a work of art.  It’s an excellent film that adults and children can easily enjoy together, especially during this spooky month.

Fin.

No comments:

Post a Comment