Pages

Monday, October 15, 2012

Sinister (2012) *spoilers*


Bugs are delicious.  The Exorcism of Emily Rose (2005)

My adoration of horror began when I was quite young and I found the film E.T.:  The Extraterrestrial the most terrifying thing to be born into existence.  From there my tastes matured and I became an avid viewer of Are You Afraid of the Dark at the ripe age of seven.  My friend and I secretly rented Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer from our local convenience store and were subsequently grounded when my mother found out.  My slightly more grown-up self is no different.  I will view virtually every scary film to occupy theatres or inhabit my Netflix suggestions.  So, upon seeing the trailer for Scott Derrickson’s film Sinister, I was skeptically optimistic.  Although giggle-inducing on occasion, I enjoyed The Exorcism of Emily Rose well enough to buy the five-dollar bargain-bin DVD, so I hoped Sinister would be at least on par with that.
Now, as I mentioned, I love horror movies, although they often tend to disappoint me.  Insidious (2010) is a fine example of a film that was spooky and engrossing up until the last 20 minutes which I can sum up with a resounding “What the fuck?”  Or how about the Australian film Lake Mungo (2009)?  Talk about a waste of 87 minutes.  I’ve been more creeped out by episodes of “A Haunting.”  Sure it had its 60 seconds of spooky images, but that’s cumulative throughout the entire film.  But, that’s not what I’m here to discuss (thank goodness).  I’m here to talk about Sinister; a film which I’d describe as a satisfying and hair-raising horror which rises above its gory “vanilla” peers.
Shot composition like a boss. Sinister (2012)
To sum it up, Sinister is the tale of Ellison (Ethan Hawke), a true-crime writer struggling to reclaim his 15 minutes of fame, who after moving into a new home with his family finds reels of home videos depicting the gruesome murders of families.  Does Ellison turn these tapes into the cops?  God, no!  However, instead of throwing popcorn at our protagonist, we get it.  He wants to write a kick-ass book.  Doesn’t everyone?  So he keeps these films and reviews them over and over again.  These videos were incorporated into the overall film in a way that I found to be bordering on excellent.  The content of these films was disturbing, but the filmmakers did something I love:  they didn’t spoon-feed the audience the violence.  Subtlety in filmmaking is so often overlooked, especially in horror.  If a family gets mowed over with a lawnmower, we don’t need to SEE it.  If a family has their throats slit, seeing it reflected in Ellison’s glasses is a much more artistic and tasteful way of displaying something no one really wants to see.  Unless you’re f’ed in the head.  Speaking of f’ed up junk, how about that creepy-ass jack-o-lantern looking dude that Ellison finds lurking in the background of the clips?
I love the supernatural.  Hell, I love “Supernatural.”  So I’m all about a movie with a paranormal element.  Sinister includes this in a way that I think is great.  It’s there, it’s scary, and yet the film remains believable.  If the supernatural element had been stripped away, the film would still have been able to stand based on the fact that “that shit could happen!”  However, adding that little preternatural element leaves the audience with a comforting feeling of “oh, the Bughuul isn’t real so I can sleep easy at night.”  Wrong!  Kids can still kill people without the nurturing guidance of Mr. Boogie.  Eric Smith?  Joshua Phillips?  Mary Bell?  Or maybe those kids had Mr. Boogie’s hand on their shoulders as well?  The Bughuul may have simply been an occult-based construct of Mr. Derrickson, but in my opinion he does exist.  He is evil incarnate.  He is that intangible darkness that inexplicably dwells within certain individuals and drives them to do horrific and unforgivable things.  And that’s why I love Sinister.
Oh, God shallow-focus, what's back there?!  Sinister (2012)
Now, to the scare-factor.  Sinister, although it contained the generic “boo!” factor, as I’ll call it, did very well in creeping me out.  Not an easy task.  Ethan Hawke definitely contributed to this.  His deterioration into being totally freaked out by the stuff happening in his new house is totally believable.  I never got pissed at him or felt the need to yell at the screen because he was being an idiot.  He acted like a genuinely scared-shitless guy.  No unbelievable bravado or dismissal of the freaky events.  He wasn’t perfect, but was imperfect in human-like way.  In addition to Mr. Hawke, the cinematography was quite exceptional, especially when my expectations are so low for a horror flick.  The use of a shallow depth of field and hand-held camera were an excellent decision.  Normally I can’t stand handheld camera, because I prefer to not have to keep one eye closed to avoid a headache.  However, Sinister used the handheld in a way that contributed to the film.  More than once the character(s) was taking up a small portion of the frame with the background out of focus.  The handheld camera swayed in a way that made small portions of the background go in and out of frame.  The entire time, I was waiting for Mr. Boogie or some freaky-ass little kid to be out of focus and in frame on one of the sways.  It never happened, but it gave intensity to the film that wasn’t distracting.  Thank you filmmakers for showing that just because a film is a horror film, doesn’t mean attention shouldn’t be paid to cinematic technique.  Special effects only get you so far.
Overall, if you enjoy scary movies, pay money to watch Sinister.  I’m just so excited to have seen a horror flick in a theatre that didn't make me leave pissed off or confused.  So, although it may not be The Shining (1980), it’s definitely up there on some imaginary list of horror movies that pack a punch and are worth your time.

Fin.



No comments:

Post a Comment